Saturday, June 18, 2011

And So It Ends

Another PBW in the books. Hard to believe that 12 days of pure insanity is finally over and we can go back to the normal of only  5 or 6 beer events a week. And now lets take a look at the final days.

                                                             June 8--Heat 1 Dan 0
I knew sooner or later this was going to bite me in my fat ass and sure enough it did. Working outside and driving around in truck with no ac was putting a severe hurting on my drinking soul. I was hoping at least to get to Capone's for the Deschutes event, but since I was out there two years ago, I broke down and used 5% of my new found maturity and went home and sucked up some AC. It was a good choice.

                                                           June 9--Heat1/2 Dan 1/2
If it got any hotter out I wouldn't be typing this right now as I would be lying right next to the melted wicked witch on the corner of Oz and Munchkin street. So instead of going to Local 44 for some Laurelwood Brewing Company beers, ( another place I was at two years ago) I sucked up 2 plus hours of AC and a good 25 minute cold shower and made my way to TND for Sierra Nevada night featuring 13 beers. It ain't your daddy's craft beer  no more. First off Kellerweis was on tap in an extra rare appearance. And as soon as I walked in there, I let the reps and Mr. Grossman know my displeasure in that very fact. Look for it never to be on sale in the area again... I worked my around several very rare beers including the Double IPA (very grassy and quite tasty), Weizenbock, which is becoming somewhat of a favorite of mine and of course Exportation, which I hope all you fun kids get a chance to try out and I also hope that they save a barrel of this to see how it ages. Not to bretty, not to sweet or winy tasting, but a very nice job of blending two very different flavors together. And then we all took a moment and thanked the rain gods for putting an end to our extreme heat misery.
     June 10--Jose Pistolas, Resurrection Ale House, Sidecar Bar and Gooddog Bar


Less heat equals more drinking. More drinking equals more fun. More fun equals less money in your bank account. We started our day at Jose's having a small bite to eat (nachos and tacos) running into various beer celebs and a drinking a couple of tasty Jolly Pumpkin beers.  We then grabbed a cab and hightailed it over to RAH for a quick Pho Phoune, if there is such a thing. It was quite a different scene in there for a Friday afternoon than it was the last time we were there. It was jammed, but we stilled managed to secure several glasses of this wonderful brew. After finishing up, we took a stroll to what is fast becoming one my favorites places in the city of brotherly drinking, Sidecar Bar. Our lovely hostess recognized us right away and even then she didn't throw us out. Mr. Parker was sitting at the bar doing what he does best, drinking and twittering away. Nebraska was the name of the game that night and they had three high priced beers out of 8 taps that were hitting the magic $12 a glass mark. But no worries man, Sidecar also has a nice sampler of 4 for the same price, so I got to try 7 of the 8 beers. Dang nab it, those corn huskers make a mighty fine product! It was getting near vittles time, so Mr. Parker upped and left to meet his wonderful wife at The Four Seasons and we decided to partake of the great menu at Sidecar. Yes meat lovers, I had their veggie black bean burger and it was so damn good I'm am thinking about a way to have them send me one.
The Champ


The Chump

Linner was over, but not our sordid tale of drinking debauchery as we heading into the heart of all that is evil, the firkin off at Gooddog Bar, featuring Sly Fox Standard Pils vs Southampton Keller Pils. I tried to warn the boys from Long Island that this wasn't going to be much of a contest, but they gave it the old college try. It wasn't pretty as Sly Fox put such a whupping on them that the referee had to step in and stop it before any more liver and palate damage could be done. For me, my 8 plus hour shift was done and it was time to head back to Kepler Mountain.

                                                           June 11--A Big Nada


 Dreams of heading into the city for the Nodding Head event of the Phunks and a couple of other things got pushed back till another day. Instead it ended up in Mt. Penn with my lovely faux daughter and Ms. DeMiel at Alebrije for some nice Mexican food and a couple of Pacifico's in a frosted glass. Oh, how the mighty has fallen...


                                              June 12--Russian River Brunch @ TDR

The grand finale for me was quite laid back as about a dozen of TNSC met for brunch and for a couple of RR beers and a glass of Hop Stupid from a firkin. Ran into even more crazy folks who ending up going to TND afterwords for some Hatter madness. Me, I went home and said no mas. It was over, really over. Three plus days of sobriety would now come and visit me. They didn't stay long.....

PS After my computer bit the dust the other week, I have been thinking about what photo software to use. I do have a few pictures, but they need some work to say the least.




















                                                         
                                                   

No comments: